Thursday, April 14, 2011

Training for the 1/2 Marathon

I have wanted to run the marathon, in some way or another, for a while now and have always made excuses in the past. Originally, I was planning on running the relay, but my sister-in-law and brother-in-law are running the 1/2 marathon and I decided I would run it too.

I have been training for six weeks now, about half way there. The first 4 weeks were absolute torture and I was not sure if I would end up running it. When you can hardly run 3 miles, how do you do 13? I kept asking myself, what have I got myself into? Of course, having this thought go through my mind for 2, 3, or 4 miles probably made it even more torturous.

Then last week, on my last run of the week, I found my groove. It sounds funny, but everything just seemed to be working right and I actually started enjoying it and finishing my run thinking, I could have run further. The first few weeks, I was working on my breathing, my stride, my tempo, and then back to breathing and stride and tempo, but I could never get it all together at the same time. But I finally stopped thinking about it so much and just did it (and stopped telling myself how horrible I felt), listening to my music instead of counting down the miles. Now I feel good about running the marathon and actually believe that I can finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment