Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Paying to watch T.V.

When we were kids, we had to pay money to watch t.v. I can't remember exactly what we had to pay, I think it was $0.25 for half an hour or something like that. This was a way of discouraging us to spend too much time watching t.v. I think that as we got older, we had to read for half an hour to watch half an hour of t.v. to encourage us to spend more time reading. I always loved reading so I usually read more than I watched t.v. and it wasn't an issue. But for my sister, who didn't enjoy reading had a harder time with this.

I have decided to take this concept and use it to add exercise in when I am usually just sitting and watching television. For every half an hour of t.v. watched, I have decided to do a certain amount of exercise. Now this is above my regular workout and doesn't replace it. It is just extras. I got the idea one day while watching the show "Dr. Oz" and "The Biggest Loser". Both of them were giving easy exercises that you can do while watching t.v. or during the commercial breaks. Far too often I spend an evening on the couch watching my favorite shows and checking facebook or emails and hardly moving. At the end of the evening I feel lazy, especially while watching the Biggest Loser.

So, now I have to "pay" for t.v. by doing exercise. For every half an hour of watching t.v. I will do one of these exercises:
- 50 Jumping Jacks
- 20 Sit-ups
- 15 Push-ups
- 30 Squats
- 20 Plank Jumping Jacks

As these become easier, I can up them or add or change activities to make it still a challenge to do them. Another bonus is that it gives my body a boost and help work off some extra calories.

1 comment:

  1. oooh! I like that! I've done the 10 min exercise for every 30 min of t.v., but I like the specifics of this, AND that I can do them in front of the t.v. :) I never really fullfilled the 10 for 30 because I 'had' to exercise downstairs, I would add it to my other workout, but really I would just do less of my usual workout :( thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete