Monday, January 10, 2011

Tip #2

This tip is linked to the first tip. There are big claims to how this one can improve your health and help you lose weight. I do know someone who has done this, with added exercise, and seen great results, she looks fantastic. I started this one at Christmas because I knew I would be eating more and indulging in more sweets at gatherings, so I decided to at least try and cut out this. What is it?

Tip #2 - Cut out sugar sweetened drinks
I have heard it said that if you cut out sugar drinks, like pop, energy drinks, sugar sweetened fruit juices, sugar in coffee, teas, etc., you can lose from 15-20 lbs a year. If you just can't seem to do this, start out by cutting out one per day and gradually increase. Then maybe on a Saturday, you can treat yourself to a little sugar in your coffee. Even cutting out one can of pop can be over a hundred calories you are saving. I read some statistics that a can of energy drink can equal half a dozen donuts, wow.

I have decided to cut out sugar from my coffee, occasionally indulging in 1/2 a tsp instead of the 2 tsp I used to have, and having milk in it instead of cream or whitener. I have also cut out ice tea, which I would often have for supper or order at a restaurant. We don't usually keep pop in the house and I am not a huge fan of it, although I do have a glass here and there, I am cutting that out too. This is helping me drink more water (tip #1) since I am not reaching for anything else in the fridge. It is also recommended that you drink 1% or non-fat milk. This isn't a problem for me since I don't really like milk all that much and if I do have some, it has to be 1%, or chocolate, but that has always been only a treat, except when I was pregnant.

So, another challenge for the New Year. I'm thinking this one won't be too hard for me, but we'll see. I'm still working on getting in all 8 cups of water.

1 comment:

  1. when I started coutning calories, caloric drinks really became an eye opener, adding a LOT to my daily total.
    Coke/Sprite zero are my treat, and Stevia is my 0 calorie sugar replacement....best one I've researched, you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete